The University of Essex is a school where curiosity prevails, and where exploring new ways of thinking and pushing boundaries, isn’t just encouraged, it’s expected. The University of Essex was named University of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards 2018 for their determination to do things differently and put student success at the centre of everything they do.
Essex boasts a massive 350-mile coastline, the 2nd longest of any county in England. There’s plenty to explore across the county, from countryside walks to award-winning beaches. Students can even try a plate of freshly caught oysters, or take a boat trip from Walton-on-the Naze to see the local seals! There’s lots for students to explore, and it is just a short train ride from London. This makes it great for students because they can enjoy being near the capital, but with a lower cost of living.
Join a bold and brilliant community of learning at the University of Essex, home to radical thinking and challenging ideas since the 1960s!
Why University of Essex - Colchester Campus
- Gold-Rated Teaching: The University of Essex has a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). This means that the teaching quality, learning environments and student outcomes students can look forward to are among the best in the UK.
- Campus: The University of Essex’s Colchester-based campus is well equipped to support each students’ studies. They will have access to a 6-floor library, IT suites and even a cinema! Other great on-campus amenities include a sports centre, hair salon, shops and restaurants. The campus is set around a tranquil lake and has lots of resident wildlife, so students can study in a beautiful natural environment.
- Historic County: The University of Essex in Colchester is located in the county of Essex, which is home to an incredible coastline and many historic villages. The county of Essex has an important place in British culture and history. Colchester is the oldest recorded town in the UK, and the first capital of Roman Britain. Today, Colchester is a popular town, with a great mix of historic buildings and modern attractions. Students can go shopping, eat at a wide range of restaurants, head to the local bars and pubs, and even explore the town’s zoo.
- Diversity and Support: Join a community of 140+ nationalities with diverse cultures and ideas. The University of Essex understands the needs of international students, and offers special mentoring sessions, academic and language support, and one-on-one guidance.
- Innovative Spirit: Students are encouraged to think independently and question convention. They will learn how to think creatively, and how to apply their knowledge and ideas to real-life situations. They’ll also benefit from the University of Essex's partnerships with over 300 institutions all over the world, and the chance to do a paid internship either during their degree or within 3 years of graduating.