Alliant International University gets its name from the merger of three legacy institutions: San Francisco Law School founded in 1909, United States International University (USIU) founded in 1927, and the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) founded in 1969. In 2001, USIU and CSPP merged, forming Alliant with San Francisco Law School (SFLS) joining in 2010. From 1909 through today, one constant remains: We specialize in preparing students for careers of impact through our model of academic rigor paired with hands-on training.
Our mission is to prepare students for professional careers of service and leadership, and promote the discovery and application of knowledge to improve the lives of people in diverse cultures and communities around the world. Our vision is an inclusive world empowered by Alliant alumni. Alliant is committed to excellence in four areas:
- Education for Professional Practice: Alliant’s educational programs are designed to give students the knowledge, skills and ethical values they need to serve and lead effectively in a variety of professional settings. Alliant graduates are expected to achieve mastery of a body of knowledge and be able to apply that knowledge in professional practice in order to achieve desired and beneficial outcomes.
- Scholarship: Scholarship in the Alliant context includes the discovery of new knowledge; the discovery of new applications of knowledge to solve practical problems; the integration of knowledge in new ways; and innovation in teaching knowledge and professional competencies.
- Multicultural and International Competence: Alliant is an inclusive institution committed to serving diverse populations around the world by preparing professionals to work effectively across cultural and national boundaries, by increasing the number of professionals working in underserved areas, and by understanding and responding to the needs of diverse communities.
- Community Engagement: Alliant’s faculty, students, alumni and staff are dedicated to making a positive difference in the world through professional education and practice. We measure the success of our university in part by the impact we have, both directly and indirectly, on the welfare of individuals, families, organizations and communities.
Why Alliant International University
Hands-on experience: One of our key beliefs is that students benefit from an education that extends beyond the pages of their textbooks and out into the real world. We provide an educational experience based on a combination of academic theory in the classroom and hands-on experience in the field. This practical integration of theory and practice helps Alliant students become innovative agents of change, solving the real-world issues of today’s diverse, global society.
- Each of our programs is designed to help develop professionals to do meaningful work that makes a lasting impact. Our approach to education combines theory and practice; scholarship and application. We provide a professional school environment where students learn from a faculty of seasoned working professionals and receive practical training while still in school through a combination of internships, practica, consulting, and community service projects.
- At Alliant, success is measured not only in terms of the number of degrees awarded and the quantity of academic papers published, but also by the impact students and graduates make in their communities. Our 45,000+ alumni contribute daily to diverse communities around the world.
- Alliant students contribute more than 1.2 million hours of community service each year as part of their professional education. Field placements, practica and internships are often aimed at benefiting undeserved communities, and students frequently engage in projects that address the real-time needs and issues in their surrounding communities. These activities benefit those who need it the most and often serve as a catalyst for their future, professional impact.
- Enhanced teaching environment: Alliant was built on a legacy of innovative professional education. Our schools and faculty are pioneers in their fields and prepare each of their students to continue their legacy. Our professors train their students with the expectation that they will one day join them in the top echelon of industry experts - they are training their future colleagues.
Campus life: Alliant offers a culturally rich educational experience. Our students are met with a diverse community of faculty, staff, and fellow students; a community that encourages different points of view, bold thought, and taking risks to address community challenges. The current student body at Alliant comes from 49 states and more than 75 countries.
- Alliant has been a top producer of graduate degrees for minorities for the last six years and has been named one of the nation’s most military friendly schools seven years running. Our students come from all walks of life, from the first in the family to pursue a higher education to military veterans completing or re-starting their education to working professionals and graduates of community colleges as well as the Ivy League. We believe a diversity of views leads to a better environment for solving communal problems and inspires bigger thinking.
- Alliant International University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). We are an equal opportunity employer and educator. The Clinical Psychology PhD and PsyD programs offered on the Fresno, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and San Francisco campuses are individually accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). The Marriage and Family Therapy Master's and Doctoral Programs at Alliant are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE). The Teaching Credential Programs offered by the California School of Education are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. San Francisco Law School, and its branch campus San Diego Law School, are accredited by the State Bar of California, Committee of Bar Examiners. All programs offered through the California School of Management and Leadership (CSML) are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).