Western Michigan University is a learner-centered, research university, building intellectual inquiry and discovery into undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs in a way that fosters knowledge and innovation, and transforms wisdom into action. As a public university, WMU provides leadership in teaching, research, learning, and service, and is committed to enhancing the future of our global citizenry.
Nationally and internationally recognized, the University aspires to distinguish itself as learner centered, discovery driven, and globally engaged.
- Western Michigan University is a university where every member of our community is responsive to and responsible for the education of our students. We challenge and engage all members of our community with a university experience that creates skilled, life-long learners.
- Western Michigan University offers experiences that enable discovery, and promote creativity and research. We are committed to pursuing inquiry, disseminating knowledge, and fostering critical thinking that encourages life-long learning. Our scholarship creates new knowledge, forms a basis for innovative solutions, leads to economic development, and makes substantial contributions to society.
- Western Michigan University impacts the globe positively. We are a community of learners committed to human dignity, sustainability, social responsibility, and justice. Our campus embraces a diverse population of students, faculty and staff who develop learners and leaders who are locally oriented and globally competent, culturally aware and ready to contribute to world knowledge and discovery.
The synergy of these three pillars enables WMU to be a premier and distinctive university of choice. Western Michigan University offers all students a learning community designed for and dedicated to their success. We are committed to access and affordability, and sustaining an environment in which every student can meet the world head-on and triumph.
Why Western Michigan University
Western Michigan University is a globally engaged, national research university that promotes success for learners at all levels and stands out among America’s more than 4,600 public and private degree-granting colleges and universities.
- INSIGHT into Diversity consistently honors WMU for its outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Military Times ranks WMU among the best institutions for veterans, and WMU is the only Michigan school to appear on all nine years of its annual Best for Vets list.
- U.S. Department of State data shows that WMU was No. 6 among producers of American Fulbright Scholars in 2016-17.
- WMU operates the nation’s largest and most comprehensive collegiate support program for former foster-care youth and is an international model for teaching, research, learning and public service related to foster care and higher education.
A CULTURAL DESTINATION
- College of Fine arts students, faculty and guest artists annually stage 1,400 plays, concerts and exhibitions while students and the University stage dozens of cultural events each year.
- The International Festival brings 5,000 students and community members together each year to experience the music, dance, food and fashions of a sampling of the 100 home countries of WMU's international students.
- Miller Auditorium, Michigan’s third largest theatre, presents everything from concerts, comedy acts and multimedia events to touring Broadway shows and internationally acclaimed music and dance productions.